Pocket Watches Forum

AccueilAccueil  Dernières imagesDernières images  RechercherRechercher  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  ConnexionConnexion  

Berthoud à Paris - another one

3 participants
AuteurMessage
patbig
patbig

Berthoud à Paris - another one Empty
MessageSujet: Berthoud à Paris - another one   Berthoud à Paris - another one EmptyJeu Nov 21, 2013 5:01 am

Hello everybody, good whatever part of time it is where you are. A coincidence, I just received my newly acquired Berthoud verge watch. I am new to horology, and sort of got into it through classic boats, I was looking for a proper clock for my gaff yawl Germaine, built in 1882 and just relaunched, found a nice period Charles Frodsham bulkhead clock in working order and fitted it in the main cabin. I then looked for a period watch too, and that's how it started. That was last summer. Now I am staying near Paris most of the winter, my wife is been treated in a nearby hospital and I visit her often. Learning how to repair ancient clocks and watches is a fascinating way to spend my time between visits.
Because of my love of sailing, I concentrated my search on "Horlogers de la marine", French clock and watchmakers who had to take a special certification to supply time measuring devices for the merchant and military fleets. My first project watch early last month was a going barrel lever pocket watch by Paul Garnier, Horloger de la Marine rue Taitbout in Paris, circa 1860.
Now to Berthoud, with a detour. In France on November 1 there's a semi religious tradition called La Toussaint, where most people will go put flowers on the tombs of their departed loved ones. My grandparents' grave is at a cemetary in Groslay, a couple of miles from where I live, and so I went there to put flowers.  On my way back, for the first time I noticed a small monument at a crossroad, with a bronze statue, in memory of Ferdinand Berthoud, horloger de la marine, who lived in Groslay for a long time and died there on 20 June 1807. I looked up his history on the web, probably the most significant horloger de la marine in France, and clockmaker to the king until he lost his head. (The king). So I decided to find a watch by my neighbour Berthoud, and luckily immediately spotted one on EBay, and got it for a very reasonable price. Here it is, as found
Berthoud à Paris - another one 4rwu
I don't know if the chain is original, the key certainly does not fit. No hands, dial a bit damaged.
The cock:
Berthoud à Paris - another one K0c4
The face of the movement, the set-up ratchet is missing and there's rust in places. A couple of tiny patches of paper over the hour wheel.
Berthoud à Paris - another one W7aw
The back of the case is very plain.
Berthoud à Paris - another one Skox
Since screws show some rust I have dipped the whole movement in WD40 for the night before I try to open it. I am not too optimistic about the spiral if rust got to it too. Suggestions welcome as to where to find a set-up ratchet.
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
http://www.port-rhu.com
Admin
Admin
Admin

MessageSujet: Re: Berthoud à Paris - another one   Berthoud à Paris - another one EmptySam Nov 23, 2013 9:36 am

Hi,

Will you try to fix it ?  It won't be easy...
https://pocketwatchesforum.forumactif.com
patbig
patbig

MessageSujet: Re: Berthoud à Paris - another one   Berthoud à Paris - another one EmptySam Nov 23, 2013 7:38 pm

I will give it a try but stop short of causing any damage. My skills are limited to taking apart and cleaning, but I have a spare movement in good condition that may be used as a donor.
I will know how bad it is soon, I'll try and open it today.
patbig
patbig

MessageSujet: Re: Berthoud à Paris - another one   Berthoud à Paris - another one EmptySam Nov 23, 2013 9:40 pm

OK, I have taken the watch apart. All screws came out OK after 4 days swimming in WD40. The chain is not broken and still somewhat flexible despite the rust. The mainspring looks very good, nearly not rust. The spiral is essentially gone, rusted and broken, but the verge looks good enough. Basically most of the rust is superficial and looks recent. All parts seems to be fonctionnal, the missing spiral is the issue. I have a chemical product to eliminate rust on iron and steel, I use it when restoring old tools or firearms, but I am a bit weary of trying it on tiny watch parts. Advice welcome.
Bottom line I have to replace the missing set up ratchet and the spiral, and get rid of the dirt and rust.
Patrick
Franck272
Silver member
Franck272

MessageSujet: Re: Berthoud à Paris - another one   Berthoud à Paris - another one EmptyDim Nov 24, 2013 6:55 am

Welcome patbig,

I'm a little late vertderire 
you can use a chimical product for the rust, I have already do, but after, it will be necesary to polish the pieces, screws, mainsprings, and you should see on this forum the restoration of the similar movement.
patbig
patbig

MessageSujet: Re: Berthoud à Paris - another one   Berthoud à Paris - another one EmptyDim Nov 24, 2013 8:34 am

Thanks, I found the forum when looking for info on the restoration of a verge watch and i have read the thread in the French section, great. Way beyond my skills but inspirational, pity it stopped. The chemical I use is called derouphos, phosphorus based i think. I was afraid it could eat away pivots or similar, like the chain. I'll give it a try.
Franck272
Silver member
Franck272

MessageSujet: Re: Berthoud à Paris - another one   Berthoud à Paris - another one EmptyDim Nov 24, 2013 9:28 am

L'utilisation du destructeur de rouille, c'est juste pour enlever la rouille de surface, ne convient pas aux pivots, et pallettes de la verge, qui doivent être poli, pour permettre aux dents de la roue de rencontre de glisser facilement dessus.
Tu as fait des photos lors du démontage, pour voir l'état entre les 2 platines ? Cela devrait aussi te servir pour le remontage.
patbig
patbig

MessageSujet: Re: Berthoud à Paris - another one   Berthoud à Paris - another one EmptyDim Nov 24, 2013 9:31 am

J'ai fait des photos. merci pour le conseil je garderai la produit pour les vis et ressorts. Quid de la chaîne?
Franck272
Silver member
Franck272

MessageSujet: Re: Berthoud à Paris - another one   Berthoud à Paris - another one EmptyDim Nov 24, 2013 9:09 pm

La chaine, il faut la faire baigner dans le WD40 2 à 3 jours, ensuite essence F, ensuite polissage de la chaine (des maillons), je mets de l'essence F sur le papier de verre (grain 1200 à défaut de 1500, qu'il faut que je trouve) pour faciliter les choses, ensuite essence F pour nettoyer, séchage et pour le montage l'enduire de graisse (une petite pellicule). Mettre un peu de graisse 8200 sur le bout de ses doigts et faire glisser la chaîne entre ses doigts pour bien faire pénétrer et répartir la graisse sur ses 4 faces. Il faut ensuite la roder, car si la chaîne n'est pas totalement souple malgré la lubrification (certains maillons ne pivotent pas ou peu), il faut la faire aller et venir sur l'angle d'un morceau de bois dur (bois d'étau par ex.) en maintenant une certaine tension, c'est comme cela que je fais.
Attention, la chaine à un sens, les 2 crochets ne sont pas identiques et c'est souvent la galère pour remettre les crochets en place.
Le ressort de barillet ne va pas dans ton antirouille non plus, ni le spiral (même s'il n'est plus là).Very Happy
patbig
patbig

MessageSujet: Re: Berthoud à Paris - another one   Berthoud à Paris - another one EmptyDim Nov 24, 2013 9:29 pm

Merci. le ressort est nickel, juste à nettoyer à l'essence et graisser. La chaîne a le même crochet arrondi des deux côtés, pas de petit pointe. Peut être une réparation ancienne, d'ailleurs une paire de vis semble douteuse, qualité médiocre, fente décentrée, et deux initiales sont gravées à la va vite sur une face intérieure. J'ai un spiral en rab d'un mouvement de rechange, je pense essayer de le monter. Il me reste à trouver la roue crantée qui va sur l'axe du ressort, seule pièce manquante avec les aiguilles.
patbig
patbig

MessageSujet: Re: Berthoud à Paris - another one   Berthoud à Paris - another one EmptyVen Nov 29, 2013 1:54 am

Le spiral est dissous par la rouille, la verge s'est cassé près de la palette du haut, trop entamée par la rouille qui a eu raison du spiral. J'ai mesuré la longueur totale avant casse, 7,03mm, et j'ai gardé les morceaux. Ca avait l'air un peu bidouillé, soudure à l'étain sur le balancier pour tenir la verge. Le reste va bien après remontage, tout tourne bien, la chaîne est en place, on peut remonter prudemment sans rien casser. Avec la disparition de la verge plus de solution de rechange. De plus le carré du canon de la chaussée est bouffé - j'ai vu sur le forum comment y remédier, un challenge pour moi mais ça se tente - et il manque le rochet d'encliquetage, ca peut se trouver. Gros hic je ne sais pas fabriquer une verge avec les deux palettes, donc la montre va dormir dans sa boîte en attendant l'arrivée du prince Charmant.
Franck272
Silver member
Franck272

MessageSujet: Re: Berthoud à Paris - another one   Berthoud à Paris - another one EmptySam Nov 30, 2013 7:20 am

Pour la verge, il sera surement plus facile d'en trouver une, que d'en faire une. Sinon, si le coeur t'en dit, dans la revue N°72 Horlogerie Ancienne de l'afaha, ils expliquent de 3 manières différentes de les réaliser avec photos. Pour le rochet 2 problèmes :le bon diamètre et le bon nombre de dents.
patbig
patbig

MessageSujet: Re: Berthoud à Paris - another one   Berthoud à Paris - another one EmptyDim Déc 01, 2013 6:39 am

Merci, je me suis inscrit à l'afaha je vais essayer de me procurer le numéro 72. Pour trouver une verge je suppose que le seul moyen est de trouver une épave de montre. J'ai bien un mouvement complet mais il est très propre, je suis plutôt tenter de lui trouver un boitier.
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Berthoud à Paris - another one   Berthoud à Paris - another one Empty

Berthoud à Paris - another one
Page 1 sur 1