Pocket Watches Forum

AccueilAccueil  CalendrierCalendrier  FAQFAQ  RechercherRechercher  GroupesGroupes  S'enregistrerS'enregistrer  ConnexionConnexion  

Partagez | 

Moilliet watch ?...

AuteurMessage
pianoman

MessageSujet: Moilliet watch ?...   Mer Oct 14, 2015 2:21 am

Hi ! I have recently acquired a verge watch made by 'Moilliet fils' of Geneva. The silver case carries French silvermarks dated after 1838. Although there is a long list of Moilliet makers at worldtempus.com, including 'Moilliet et fils', 'Moilliet fils' is not listed. I would like to know which Moilliet made the watch; it's much too late to be by Daniel, it could be by Antoine (at the end of his life) - but did Antoine have a son who continued in the business after his death ? Grateful for any information about Moilliet watchmakers !

" />
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
pianoman

MessageSujet: .... movement photo ....   Mer Oct 14, 2015 4:30 am

This should have been included in the first post - apologies !

Franck272
Silver member

MessageSujet: Re: Moilliet watch ?...   Mer Oct 14, 2015 10:51 pm

She looks to be in very good condition
In the 1st picture, it will possible to have a picture without the glass, and one without the dial ?
Your watch is probably a repeat watch of quarter (with ringing), because the case is in silver, the French hallmark is the “Minerve” for 800/1000, the 2nd title, who is appear in 1838, effectively, but a part seems to miss on the 2nd picture, the pawl should be press the winding wheel who seems to miss here. It’s probably a doctor’s watch, but I never saw this type of dial, with the disk for the hours in the top of the dial. pensif I think that this watch was made in about 1840.
For MOILLIET & fils à Genève, I have not much, I put the informations this evening.
pianoman

MessageSujet: Re: Moilliet watch ?...   Jeu Oct 15, 2015 6:53 am

Thank you, Franck. Yes, the condition of the watch is good; it runs well, although it is not very accurate. (At the moment it is about half-an-hour slow each day.) You suggest that it could be a repeater, but there is no mechanism for that, which is why, I think, you are looking for a bit which is not there!

The hand on the front is a minute hand, and it is necessary to open the glass to adjust it ( a very small key fits over the centre of the hand), but I cannot completely remove the glass or the dial. I think a 'doctor's watch' has a second hand, which this one does not have.

The hours in the 'window' at the top are unusual (very unusual for a verge, as far as I can see); jump-hour watches became popular much later, but I think this must be a very early one. I have read that the very first jump-hour was made in 1830 for the King of France, but I should be interested to know when this one was made. The Minerva mark, as you point out, makes 1838 the earliest possible date for the case, so far as I can see 1840 would be my best guess. But that does raise the question of which Moilliet actually made it! My mother was a Moilliet, so this is partly a matter of 'family history'.

Thank you again for your interest.
Franck272
Silver member

MessageSujet: Re: Moilliet watch ?...   Jeu Oct 15, 2015 9:08 pm

The informations for MOILLIET :

MOILLET A. & FILS Horlogers genevois. Signent une montre à 4 automates en or, émail et perles. Vers 1790.

MOILLET AIMÉ & [. Fin du XVIIle, début du XIXe siècle. " Etablisseurs" d'horlogerie. Signe une montre médaillon à cadran caché en or, émail et perles.

MOILLIET Horloger et marchand. Dès 1828. Montres calibre Lépine, échappement à cylindre et à ancre. Signature trouvée sur une montre plate en or décorée d'émail champlevé polychrome. Mentionné à Genève dès 1831.

MOILLIET & CIE. Horlogers. Vers 1880.

MOILLIET ANTOINE & CIE. Horlogerie. 1790-1810. Montre de fantaisie en or et émail en forme de poire. Vers 1810 à Genève.

MOILLIET D. & VIRGINIO Horlogers. Vers 1750.

MOILLIET DANIEL (Genève 1721-1803). Fils d'Abraham. Maître et marchand horloger. Construit notamment des montres à boîte décorée d'émail, de perles et de pierres. Montres à répétition, calendrier, montres avec différents fuseaux horaires. Travaille avec Moulinier.

MOILLIET ETIENNE Maître "faiseur" de boîtes pour montres. Seconde moitié du XVIIe siècle.

MOILLIET HYPOLITE Maître "faiseur" de boîtes de montres et maître horloger. Seconde moitié du XVIle siècle. Apprenti chez Nicolas Gandoz en 1666 à Genève.

MOILLIET JEAN Fabricant. Première moitié du XIXe siècle. Mentionné à Genève en 1829.

MOILLIET JEAN Apprenti horloger chez Thomas Delorme en 1697 à Genève.

MOILLIET JUNIOR Fabricant de montres genevois. Première moitié du XIXe siècle. Montres à répétition, montres plates.

MOILLIET MICHEL Maître "faiseur" de boîtes et d'étuis. Forme Samuel Fontaine en 1678 à Genève.

MOILLIET-ROUX Fabricants d'horlogerie. Mentionné à Genève en 1828-1835.

MOILLIEZ JEAN FRANÇOIS Horloger genevois. Seconde moitié du XVIIIe siècle.

For the watch, it's strange, what is the fonction of the pawl near the "coq"(rooster) and the "rosette" ?
For the repeat, it's not possible, effectively, because the watch have not the square with slow/fast.
What is the escappement, with verge inside ?
Could you put a picture of the movement from the side ?
pianoman

MessageSujet: Re: Moilliet watch ?...   Ven Oct 16, 2015 12:41 am

You are very observant ! Here is another photo taken after the watch was restored. The wheel is now there .....

I know nothing about watches, but the restorer's report says: "Continental silver openfaced pocket watch with circular bow and bow post at the 12 o'clock position. Hallmark stamped on the bowpost (the profile of a Centurion). Front glazed bezel to access the dial and hand setting by the square at the centre of the minute hand. White enamel dial with Arabic numeral chapter ring to indicate the minutes, with a cut -out aperture at the 12 o'clock position as a window to view a circular silvered and Arabic numeral chapter jump-hour dial. One fine blue steel minute hand. Back of case engine-turned and hand-engraved, a hinged dust-cover lid to access the key wind aperture . (Hallmark profile of a Centurion.) Gilt brass inner dust cover, hinged, to cover the mechanism, hand-engraved 'Humbert a Geneve.' Case fitted with a 30 hour spring and fusee compensated drive with verge escapement and signed 'Moilliet Fils a Geneve. No 24562. Silvered dial for advance and retard regulation with a blue steel lever."

The Hallmark should I'm sure be Minerva !

Many thanks for all the details of the Moilliet family. I know from my own family history that Daniel died in 1803, and his son Antoine lived from 1768-1844. He seems to be the Moilliet most likely to have made the watch, but I see there is a later Moilliet / Moilliet et Cie, around 1880, so I wondered whether Antoine had a son who continued the business after Antoine died ? Could that be 'Jean' ? And if so, could he have called himself 'Moilliet fils' ?

Thanks again for your posts - and for your excellent English; definitely better than my French !
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Moilliet watch ?...   

Moilliet watch ?...
Page 1 sur 1